Jump Start Your Day With a Smoothie Bowl using Post® Grape-Nuts Cereal!
I guess you can say one of my intentions for 2017 is to eat healthier. I want to continue eating more fruits and vegetables, fresh food, organic as much as possible, and whole grain. I notice a huge difference in my mental capacity as well as in my energy when I eat the right foods.
I first learned about these bowls of goodness while living in Hawaii. I remember being with a couple of girlfriends and being asked if I’d tried an Acai bowl. “Ohh it’s soo good,” they said. As I looked confused, I realized what they were talking about. What I often thought was aKai was actually açaí (pronounced asai), an antioxidant super fruit from Brazil. It was a tad embarrassing but I’m glad for it because my curiosity led me to taste what they were raving about and why it was mentioned a lot.
I had to try it. Thankfully I went to one of the best açaí bowl makers on the island and they hooked me up with a newfound obsession. From that moment on I constantly craved a smoothie bowl and asked my husband to bring me one any chance he had. I drove him nuts trying to find any place that made them so I could try and compare. Everyone had their own unique twist and I loved that.
It wasn’t until I was home and everything seemed too far a drive that I got creative. I realized that it mainly consisted of fruit, topped with additional nutrients. I scoured my kitchen and had just enough ingredients to whip a lil’ bowl for myself. I was impressed! Also excited at the possibilities once I got my hands on a variety of ingredients.
When I learned about this Post® Grape-Nuts opportunity I knew that it would be excellent on top of my smoothie bowl, as a healthy replacement for my usual granola mix. I enjoy trying new substitutes and this addition was delicious!
What makes Grape-Nuts the perfect smoothie bowl topper is that it contains fiber to prepare your body for the day and aids you in feeling full. It’s a source of 7 grams of fiber and contains 52 grams of whole grain. Score!
If you’re looking to consume more fruit and less sweets, try out my yummy, swanky smoothie bowl recipe below. An awesome healthy and tasty breakfast, lunch, or snack!
Before you get started on my recipe and purchase your Post® Grape-Nuts cereal head on over to get your coupon.
Have you had the pleasure of trying a smoothie bowl? Are you incorporating any healthy habits into your 2017 intentions? Let me know, leave a comment below.
Yields 1 serving
- 1 1/2 cup of frozen fruit ( I like to chop my fresh fruit, put in baggies, and freeze)
- 1/4 cup of milk (coconut, almond, soy, or whole)
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter (optional)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp of chia seeds
- 2 tbsp of coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup of Post Grape-Nuts or granola mixed with 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 of a banana, sliced (any variety of sliced fruit will do)
- 1 tbsp honey
- Dump the frozen fruit into your blender.
- Add milk, peanut butter, flaxseed, and chia seeds.
- Blend until thick consistency,
- Feel free to alter it just make sure the consistency is preferably thick instead of runny. You want to be able to spoon it to enjoy. Not to consume through a straw.
- Top with coconut flakes, Post Grape-Nuts or granola, sliced fruit
- Drizzle honey over for the final touch!
- Optional, sprinkle chia seeds.